Portland Circles

Well, we made it to Portland, just a little snow but none on the roads. We are now finally back in our hotel room and hoping to get to bed soon since we have an early morning but what usually happens when I know I should be sleeping is I lay wide awake for hours, so we will see.
We got to Portland about 3 and checked into the hotel and then headed out into Portland to look for a book store and eventually dinner. We drove in circles around Portland, Jim insists we weren’t lost, we were exploring, but we saw the same building 2 or 3 times. Finally, I suggested we go to the shopping center that I found when I was here for a class last year. My directions took us back into Washington and then back into Oregon in order to find the shopping center. But we did find it. I was looking for China Ghosts, I thought it might be a good read on the plane, but they did not have it. Instead I got Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah, it looks good. We then thought we would get some dinner and then head back to the hotel. That is where the next adventure begins.

The first place we found smelled really good but they were booked and it looked expensive so we drove around a little more and decided to go back to the restaurant at the hotel, BIG MISTAKE. I really hate to complain. I don’t want people to think that I am picky, because I am really not but, OMG, this was not good. We decided to eat in the room so we found the small menu and called the kitchen. I should have known when I asked for the linguini and the person that answered yelled at the cook to see if they have any linguini. Then I tried to order some penne pasta and that was not on her menu but it was on mine? She said the menus in the rooms were out of date so we figured it would be easier just to go down there. It just went downhill from there, I will spare you all the details, but the poor server looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown and when we finally got our order it was terrible. It was supposed to be a cheese chicken pasta dish and the pasta was mushy the chicken was dry, and there was absolutely no flavor in it at all. And to top it off it was tiny all for 12 bucks a plate. Neither Jim or I finished, then we went to the mini-store they have in the lobby and got some candy bars and some popcorn for a small fortune but at least our tummies will not be growling all night long.
We hope to be able to post from AZ. We will have some pictures by then. We get in about 9:30 in the morning and then head to Beth’s. We are having dinner with Kim and her family tomorrow night. I am so excited to meet her in person. She is only 3 days behind us with her LID. We met through our April LID group. I am so amazed by all the people that I have been in contact with though the internet that are adopting or have adopted from China. I can’t imagine going through this without the support of people who have been there or are right there with you.
Ok well I better let Jim use the computer now and then get to bed.

Comments

Kim said…
OMG!!!!
I can not believe the bad luck with the dinners...I am sooo worried about the place we are going too..
I hope you like it..
You better tell me the truth too..LOL.
Can't wait to meet you tomorrow..
Jimh. said…
It was BAD! You have to strive for years in prison kitchens to approach what we had. you have to be an inmate to stomach it.
Anonymous said…
I wish I knew you guys were going to be staying in Portland!! I could have given you directions to get to Powell's books! It is a bookstore in Portland that is an entire city block and about 4 stories high. It's amazing and you guys would have loved it. Well, don't let this ruin Portland. It is a great city, I promise!!

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Riding

Pictures!!