Happy Holidays

OK this is going to be a bit of a pet peeve post, sorry in advance. I don’t like it when people get mad about the phrase Happy Holidays preferring Merry Christmas. When I wish people a Happy Holidays it is because I realize that from the end of November to the beginning of January there are a lot of holidays and I want them to all be happy not just Christmas. When I am specifically thinking of Christmas I say Merry Christmas but I don’t think it should really matter. It is the feeling behind it wishing people good will any time of year should be welcome what ever the semantics. I think changing the names of items like Christmas trees to holiday trees is just plain silly but people, there are way more important issues in the world than what we call a silly tree.

So our Christmas cards will say Happy Holidays and if you are offended too bad throw the card away. And if next year the card I choose says Merry Christmas then you should not be offended either and if you are too bad.

Remember that there are many people in the world that are not going to have a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holiday of any kind and when you think about it that way it becomes a silly argument, at least to me. I am really hit this year with the thought that our son is living in half way around the world with no mother and father. I know he will be with his foster sister, and I am thankful for at least that but it will probably not be a special day. I have all these scenarios in my head like will his Nanny, who is a college student, be spending time with her family and possibly leaving them to babysitters on Christmas. I know these are speculations but there are so many orphans that will be spending this holiday season alone it is enough to break my heart.

I hope all your holidays are filled with joy and blessings no matter what days you choose to celebrate. I know thanksgiving is over but continue to be thankful for all your loved ones near or far.

Happy Holidays.

Comments

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Joy to the World, Seasons Greetings, Happy Chanakah, Happy Kwaansa, Feliz Navidad, Mele Kalikimaka.... My brain is running short of other names....

Great post.
I ditto what Diana said!! It just doesn't matter! Like you said to many other things that really are worth getting our feathers ruffled up about . Yes my heart is so happy knowing we have a son but, knowing he is still somewhere else and not home is heart breaking......

If I was rich man I would adopt them all so they could have a mommy and a daddy and a happy life.


Hugs,
Jody
Kayce said…
I'm with Diana too! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Riding

Pictures!!